Sunday, February 17, 2013

WTF is wrong with iPad? I simply had enough of it and I only had it for 15 mins


Well, it is obvious that I am not a fan of iPad or i-anything in general.  It is my belief that technology should be open, innovative and engaging to the users which make me a proud non-owner of any apple products. Yet, it is just my crusade against the tyranny of capitalism. There is no need to drag everybody to join. Therefore, unlike some other vocal haters out there, I usually keep my personal distaste to myself, as thou should not pass judgement on one another. Also, Apple products are expensive. Some people actually save up money to buy the "dream device(s)" (in some cases, selling their own kidney to get it). I think they unequivocally earn the right to enjoy their devices. Therefore, every time when my friends are flashing their new iDevice to me and raving about how great the device is, I usually just put up a smile and listen, trying to share their joy while knowing there is whole new world out there. In fact, I tried to reason to myself that deep down in my heart, I believe there must be some goods in those pretty gadgets; I just fail to see it.  

However, this time I simply had enough. I can't help myself but to talk about my experience on how frustrating it is to use iPad. 

So, here it is:

Like most of the frustrating stories go, I was in a hurry and needed to get some files from my friend who recently purchased an iPad. Like everyone else, my friend immediately usesd the iPad as his sole device and stored all his things on iPad, even though he hasn't entirely figured out how it worked yet. As he eagerly tapping on the iPad, it became clear he had no idea what he was doing. Being such an inpatient person, I took over and started furiously tapping on the screen. As much as I want to claim I am way smarter than my friend, I too had a very hard time to find a way to send a file (After 6 years, Bluetooth still doesn't work, an attach option is no where can be found in the stock email app and it is still lightyear away from using NFC). When both of us ran out of options, I enlisted one of my friends that used IOS in daily basis for help.
Here is a summary of the clean-up version of our 20+ Whatsapp massage exchanges:   

                 - the message screen-shots generated by ifaketext-

At the end, we decided to use facebook to transfer the files I need. The whole thing took about 30 minutes in which I can put those time into good use.  

If I paid $499+ for a mobile device, I expect that device make my life easier,  such as sending a file without a moment of hesitation in which $20 cellphone can easily achieve that task. Unfortunately, as you can see, it is not that easy with the iPad or IOS in general. Well, some may argue, like my iPhone friends, I will eventually get used to it. My response would be why would I pay almost 500 bucks to get used to something that shouldn't be existed at the first place. If they can make a phone as a remote control to a flying model plane, they can definitely make a functional email client, like every other god damn software companies.  

My only advice to Apple is that instead of adding more pixels on the screen, putting more cores into CPU, or coming up a cool name for whatever, they should go back to the very first question. What make a great device great?

No comments:

Post a Comment